Thursday, November 30, 2006

~Sunset Over Dhows~

On 18th of November we in Oman celebrated our national day. I wanted to post a poem on that occasion, For three days now I had a poem which I needed to post it in here but I could not find the right photo for it. Today I was going thorough photos of Oman in flickr.com I happen to find the photo above on dhow on the beach and I was so taken by the photo and the story began ..... Many thanks to Tokyo Tanenhaus . You can click the dhow photo to see more of his collections.

Sunset Over Dhows

My eyes are fixed on the beach
I walk towards it
So slow in each step
For my feet to walk on this beach,
Like my first ever taken walks
The sun flickers lazily
Announcing that its time to leave
Leaving me behind at seashore
Yet not alone within this deserted beach
I'm welcomed by three dhows
Perhaps forgotten
At edge line of the sea
Beached without knowing when to sail again
Embraced by sands
My eyes seemed to vision the plight of whales
Entrapped without known reason
Towards death away from the ocean
In bed of sands
The dhows watch their own slow death
Wind and sands scalpel the wreckage
I touch one of the dhows
Touching her gently with consoling hands
Like I understand their story
A silent transcript of pain
Their whole life flickered in front of my eyes
So I remained beside them
Facing the dark night
Deep inside I know at one point
I will have to leave them behind
Just like the sun it bids goodbye
Yet I, can't make a promise that I will return


Copyright 2006 Nasra Al Adawi

13 Comments:

Blogger polona said...

fantastic photo, and your words do it justice. love the image of dhows like stranded whales...

10:32 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Yes, a wonderful photo...
and I would echo Polona's words...
your connection to dhows like the plight of entrapped whales is quite
amazing!
A touching poem!
Thank you!

Margie

1:43 PM  
Blogger trinitystar said...

resting place for the dhow ... beached ... no longer will its sails feel the wind.
beautiful!
thank you for sharing.

3:51 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

There is always leaving there is always parting Nasra and we all hope to return but fate decides otherwise.

A very touching poem.

Nasra please feel free to use any of my pictures without seeking my permission, if you find any them suitable. There is no copyrights.
You'll find more pictures in my Blunt Knife blog.

5:25 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

this is a beautiful photo and poem!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah nasra wah..beautiful poem..loved it!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A beautiful and meaningful poem.

10:50 AM  
Blogger How do we know said...

What i like about your poems is your sincerity..

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...mighty pen...very nice...

12:20 AM  
Blogger suonnoch said...

Hi Nasra. It is a lovely photo and I'm glad it inspired you to write.
I went to see that photos album about Oman on Flickr, and what struck me was the photos of the camel racing. I noticed that the camels were ridden by child jockeys. Is that still the case in Oman? It's 'illegal' to use child jockeys in UAE and Qatar now where they use robots instead. The photos were dated November/December 2005. Has there been any change since then? Where do the children come from?

3:13 AM  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Simply wonderful Nasra. I love this poem. It's a winner! Blessings to you. I responded to your questions in a post on my blog. All the best to you.

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, i'm so glad that my photo could inspire you to write such a moving poem. great writing!

i really enjoyed Oman, and recently wrote a travel article about it (there's a link to it on my blog). my trip was during 1/05 (pics were uploaded 12/05) so maybe the camel jockey situation has changed since then.

-Tokyo Tanenhaus

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the word that comes to my mind about you and your peice is "Sensitivity"!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home