Tuesday, December 18, 2007

~Hena Designs~




~Hena Designs~


The question was going around
"Are you ready for Eid?"
"Eid" my voice echoed the word
Carrying a surprise tone
Work was piling on me
So Eid preparation was last on my list
How come the spirit of Eid had missed me
I missed the spirit of my niece
Giggling away as she gets persuaded
To stay still as her tiny hands gets Hena designs
Would not be Eid without our little precious
Having hena in her tiny hands


copyright 2007 Nasra Al Adawi

~To all my family and friends Eid-kum Mubarak~



Eid is celebrated in every Islamic household. Growing up, Eid is incomplete without hena for girls, we wanted the best design for our hands and feet. It was so exciting having to sleep with other girls in the family and with our feet in hena. Early morning our hena would have dried, then getting prepared in new dresses and colorful hair style. Then off we go greeting elder members of the family, the first question would be "show us you hena design) and after we had sweet, we eagerly wait for the money treat which we call Ediya. When I was growing up becoming a teenager, my hobby was to draw my hands trying to master the art of drawing designs of hena. Usually, I would do that with pen, so I use to get a bit of scolding from my father.

Before I end here, I also would like to wish all of you my blogging friends who are celebrating X-mas ..A happy X-Mas...Dont miss the spirit of it ...



Photo by m.raghu @ flickr.com. He has huge collection of hena designs, click the photo to veiw his work on hena ..

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

What beautiful designs Nasra.
Eid Mubarak to you.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Alok said...

beautiful work all around .. Eid Mubarak ho aapko

Alok

8:05 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I'd never heard of Eid Mubarak until now. Thanks for the lesson. :)
The poem is nice, too.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your site. Thank you and Eid Mubarak!!!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Kai said...

beautiful.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kai said...

merry xmas

7:27 PM  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Wishing you happiness, love, peace and joy during this Christmas Season. Don

3:18 AM  
Blogger goatman said...

This is most beautiful.
Of what is the ink made for this art?
A wonderful tradition.

2:59 PM  
Blogger trinitystar said...

quote:

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

Greetings and hugs Nasra!
trinitystar
Best wishes for the New Year

5:13 PM  
Blogger eric1313 said...

This is great. I love the poem, as well as the the hena designs and markings. I have friends here who also do the same thing.

And thank you for the holiday wishes, Nasra. Things are going as well as they can be expected.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so familiar with it. I have many Muslim friends. In fact, I used go with them to get henna designs on my hands and feet.

I used to get Ediya too!! I miss those days!

Wishing you laughter,love, joy and much peace for Christmas and coming New Year!

Much power to your pen too!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS
and a funn fantastic NEW YEAR to u too

I wud be much obliged if u wud give me a copy

sabydasouza@yahoo.com

Saby is Jim

8:00 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

Eid Mubarak Nasra.
Thank you so much for your greetings.

Wonder where Hena originated. My guess is Persia.
Very popular here in India.

hope you are doing fine Nasra.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

That is really interesting Nasra and such lovely designs Merry Christmas and a peacfull new year love Sue

4:57 AM  
Blogger polona said...

i have always admired hena designs.
thank you for this beautiful post .

happy holidays to you and yours!

7:28 AM  
Blogger floots said...

they look gorgeous
thank you for sharing this with us
best wishes

8:12 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely designs! Eid-kum Mubarak to you!

1:57 PM  
Blogger krystyna said...

Hi Nasra!
This is amazing, your poem and designs.
Eid Mubarak to you!

Thank you for your excellent book.
This helps me to realize what things are important, what life really means.
Great job!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Ashi said...

A bit late Merry Christmas but a happy New Year await to those who want.

Marvellous hena design - the great mystery at least to us here in northern part of the world, but it show the vastness of the worlds culture.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home