Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Flicker of Light


The smile is rising
As it meant to rise
Spreading sunshine
A dawn in my heart
Let me be a flicker of light
Shimmering in the dark
For I rise with a smile
Going beyond darkness
And it meant to be contagious
I'm here to spread my rays of sunshine
Embrace me back with a smile


copyright 2006 Nasra Al Adawi

I was on pilgrimage though my feet did not touch the holy lands. In Tanzania I started understanding the meaning of being a pilgrim, to touch the flicker of light in midst of darkness, a weak flame that is threaten by a blow of air to burn out. Resisting all to stay a light, I saw a new face of cancer an ugly face, that eats children faces it literary deforms our children faces. I saw hope in women faces, they smiled despite the agonies of their illness, There were more than 20 cancer patients trapped in one ward, some are lucky to have bed and those who are not lucky enough sleep in mattresses on the floor. Amazingly there were happy to be there receiving medication and my hand remain tide, Im unable to uplift their pain. I had nothing but pink ribbons a symbol of fighting against breast cancer, I wonder would it mean anything to them. In contrary the pink ribbon represented the strength to fight against cancer. The nurse gave each patient a pink ribbon and all the patient had them on, believing that it nourishes a brave heart in the face of agonizing illness.

I extend my appreciation to Avon Oman (Mohsin Haider Darwish is the exculusive distributor) for providing the pink ribbons as indeed it implanted a brave heart to the women touched with cancer.


An immense thank you to the Ladies of Community Development Corporation of Tanzania, for their invitation and hosting me in aim of spreading Cancer Awareness. "Ms. Elieshi, Ms. Jane, Ms. Margaret I can not thank you enough for your help and I urge you not to give up".

Dr. Jeff and Sister Sophia in Ocean Road Cancer Institute, Im in debt to them for enlighten me to the reality of cancer.

16 Comments:

Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

What a wonderfully uplifting poem, I feel much better now

12:37 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Sue
Im glad it had uplifted you ...

1:31 PM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

you are such a special person!!!
you have a beautiful heart!

lovely poem!!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

I used to work in a hospital, so I have seen what cancer does to children. It makes them look aged, it's heartbreaking.

Much respect to you making such a journey in Tanzania, Nasra.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Nasra...how very lovely...picture and verse. Sounds like a wonderful visit and many wonderful friends. Namaste!

7:18 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Gulnaz Im glad you are blogging again ...its good to see you back...

Liz
I felt so bad when I saw the children it was easier to meet the women but so difficult to see pain in children faces

Don
Thanks, those faces are the women in the hospital who are touched with cancer

10:44 AM  
Blogger ufukhati said...

...As I could see your smile in the sky...

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a wonderful exprience going to Tanzinia for a holiday.Did you make dreams come true.bye for now
from:Abdulla Toky

4:47 AM  
Blogger idi said...

Nasra,
thank you for informing me.
I wish I was also faithful in keeping my contacts as you do.
Thanks.
Some 6 or seven years ago it was the last time that I visited the South of Africa RSA near Durban in Kwa Zulu Natal and I like remembering it.

Thanks for your report

A prayer for you, for the nurses and for the ill women and children

Yours Heidi

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a nice uplifting poem,I am happier by reading it,You have a nice blog mashallah.
Wish you well

4:08 PM  
Blogger Mother Courage said...

how thoughtful !! beautiful poem you gifted mashallah

keep them coming =)

3:25 AM  
Blogger amiethinggoes said...

really nice poem. for a little while back i also forgot to smile myself. thought my world crashed down on me.well i felt like it at the time. you know i was being so melodramatic about my life when of course compared to these things it was really nothing.anyways going back to the poem it's really really nice.

12:36 AM  
Blogger idi said...

nasra,
the book 'brave faces' reminds me of the book telling of an African women in Germany "the colour of my face" - do you know it?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings.

It was good to read about your visit to Tanzania. Hope u had fun, and witnessed the beauty of a great country.

take care
abs.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nasra,
I checked your web site and you are certainly doing so much good for the people who are stricken down with cancer, very[proud of you and keep up the good work. We are all fine here and take care of yourself. Hope you are well and love to everyone over there.
Love mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nasra,



Very Good Keep it up my sweety daughter.



Rgds

Khadija

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home