Monday, December 29, 2008

Poetry Era


Earth's Poetry
Originally uploaded by monerxz

I began my day as if I’m not here, though physically I was at work but my heart and soul was floating beside the mountain trying to reach the peek of earth. The float was unimaginable, hollowness, with cool breeze yet it’s not so cold that makes you shiver, it was just a right sort of coolness. My heart was so calm that no doubt it had absorbed all the calmness which had lingered in the air turning me into Miss Calm.

Yet what I loved about the floating effect, it was the swirls of poetic mood and how it had rooted in me. I was all poetry just like I have never been there before. It is exactly how Carl Sandburg, American Poet and Novelist, would say that being in poetry is an echo that asks the shadow to dance. That is where I am now in a poetic elevation fulfilling my being. I can only break here this chain of thoughts by emphasizing my point through a quote of Carl Sandburg “Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air” and I would end with a thought of Voltaire, A French Philosopher and Writer, he eloquently expressed the poetry effect by saying “Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls.”

I assure you that I’m still carrying my sanity but turning to poetry I can translate my poetic transition with definite words of Emily Dickinson, American Poet, “Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotion know what it means to want to escape from these”. When I’m in poetry, I submit myself to stillness, the peek of beauty realizes in front of me and I come closer to understand how our Creator artistically created our entire life form existence and such beauty it can only be pure poetry. The description of this beauty does not require words, is simple as said by Audrey Foris,
“Poetry is not always words.” As you take a good look through each details of universal existence that we humen know of, one can only admit with John Keats in his exact words that the poetry of the earth is never dead.

When poetry come to me, I feel my guitarist fingers searches for strings, the strings are words that I play with them, unite them creating my own tunes, I become so relieved from what had agonized me and what have bewitched me. I am in the hands of poetry entirely released what might be just a single piece of music that quenches the thirst, this brings me to one feeling which tuned accurately with Dennis Gabor words “Poetry is plucking at the heartstrings, and making music with them.” So when I go back to forgotten poem. I once again remind myself to where my soul have elevated into a life journey. Robert Penn Warren, translates my feeling towards poetry in his own way as he said “The poem... is a little myth of man's capacity of making life meaningful. And in the end, the poem is not a thing we see - it is, rather, a light by which we may see - and what we see is life.”

Copyright 29 December 2008 Nasra Al Adawi

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Solafa said...

Sallam Nasra,

i hope you are doing well and that you are happy - insha-Allah.

It nice to have that feeling of being a poet. :)

keep that feeling up and you shall be fine.

Solafa.

3:47 PM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

"poetry is plucking at the heartstrings and plucking with them" i love that description the best!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Alok said...

a very heart felt read Nasra ... may you find new lands in the coming years ... may all of us find what we are looking for ...



Have a gr8 year ahead. Happy New Year!


Alok

2:46 AM  
Blogger trinitystar said...

I love the way you play your strings with words.
this line: being in poetry is an echo that asks the shadow to dance. Exquisite Nasra!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Zahir said...

it is my first time visiting your blog, but it makes me proud that we do have someone who has such an ambition.

keep up and you will reach your destination.

5:35 AM  
Blogger rauf said...

You know what the world is like Nasra and Alexander didn't. He wanted to reach and conquor till the edge of the world. There was no one to tell him Look brother, there is no edge of the world. You can glide you can float.

Happy New year to you Nasra.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Azer Mantessa said...

Happy New Year :-)

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like how you describe poetry almost as an emotion! and how you have compiled all of these quotes in a very well-written piece. good job.

6:37 AM  
Blogger goatman said...

Thank you very much for the poetry quotes. These are very helpful in understanding why we write poetry (me not so much, but I plan to do more).
Being married definitely agrees with you. It seems to have freed your mind, allowing it to soar beyond everyday.
May the new year be good to you both.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear new friend of www.futureprimitive.org

Another great interview-podcast. This time a interesting gaialogue with Miriam Sagan

Miriam Sagan is the author of over twenty books, including a memoir, Searching for a Mustard Seed : A Young Widow’s Unconventional Story (Winner best Memoir from Independent Publishers, 2004). Her poetry includes “Rag Trade”, “The Widow’s Coat”, and “The Art of Love”.
In this interview she talks about literature as defiance, community, and her experience of writing in close relationship to Nature, among other topics...

http://www.futureprimitive.org/interviews/120

Warm regards

Jose Luis G. Soler
Production Assistant
futureprimitive.org
joseluis@futureprimitive.org

7:56 PM  
Blogger fantaghiro23 said...

Hi. I was just browsing and found your blog. Nice entry. But, the quote: “Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotion know what it means to want to escape from these.” is actually from T.S. Eliot, and not from Dickinson.

Nevertheless, I wish you luck with your poetry.:)

9:08 PM  
Blogger krystyna said...

When I read your beautiful post
I forgot about everything.
So beautiful written.
Thanks!

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home