Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Recollection of My Speech on a book launch in May 2004



It is an honor for me to welcome Her Excellency Dr, Muna Al Jardani, the undersecretary of Education and Curricula of Ministry of education and all of you present here this evening.
We are present here this evening to salute the women who are so bravely fighting cancer with smile

Ladies and Gentlemen allow me to introduce my new book “Within Myself” “Within Myself” goes beyond a collection of poetry, it is the inner voice of Cancer Survivors. I was in close touch with them and they have unwrapped their hearts and soul to us. They have had the courage and will power to live beyond the pain and turmoil of Cancer. The book incorporates the stories, true to life of women who fought and survived Cancer.

Words and poetry alone do not do enough justice to the pain and turmoil that I experienced and saw in the eyes of these women. This is merely an effort to contribute and inspire faith and hope in the hearts of those who are so closely associated to their loved ones.

Ladies and Gentlemen

There is life beyond Cancer and I dedicated my work, my poetry to the Survivors.
If I may share this with you, my own father was a victim of cancer. Until last he lived with a smile, in-spite of the pain. I drive my inspiration greatly from him. He taught me never to give up and so I believe where there is life, there is hope and when there is hope there is continuity of life.

Ladies and Gentlemen the launch of Within Myself has been made possible through the valuable contributions of National Bank of Oman, Apex Publishing, The Honorary Consulate of the Kingdom of Spain, Muscat Pharmacy, Holiday villa, Oman Drug House, The Translation Group of Sultan Qaboos University, Hyatt Regency, Daran LLC, Modern Centre for Business Services Northen Sands and Oman Printers.

Also there have been the contributions and support of my many friends who helped me immensely. I would like you to know them Fadhal Allah Suliman, Pamela Carboni, Mr. Tonny Barbour, Mohammed Al Rawahi, Dr Patricia Groves Hamoud Al Jabry, Hassan Al Matroushi, Dr, Abdullah Al Harassi, Aidah Al Jabry and finally Surinaa Triveen, Fahad Al Wahaibi and Monsterrat Capdevila and my family for always being there for me.

Lastly I would like you all to know that the funds generated through the sale of “within Myself” will go to the National Association for Cancer Awareness. I profoundly thank the National Association for Cancer Awareness, the first Patient advocacy Group in Oman for the support and inspiration in the launching of “Within Myself” and their attentiveness support to me. The will power to live beyond Cancer has been aptly portrayed by those who involved with the Association.

Lets us join in the efforts and try to make this disease, Cancer more bearable and less of nightmare.

Thank you all Thank you so much.

سعادة الدكتورة منى الجرداني –وكيل التعليم والمناهج بوزارة التربية والتعليم
ضيوفنا الكرام
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
لقد جاء كتابي الثاني "بين حنايا أضلعي" كمساهمة متواضعة ومشاركة مني لضحايا مرض سرطان الثدي علىّ بذلك أكون قد شاركتهن بعضا من المعاناة التي يسببها لهن هذا المرض الخبيت وقد صدر هذا الكتاب في الأصل باللغة الانجليزية مع الترجمة للغة العربية.

سعادة الدكتورة ضيف الشرف …الضيوف الكرام

لقد كان والدي من ضحايا مرض السرطان ولقد انتزعه مني في وقت كنت فيه في أمس الحاجة لعطفه علىّ لذلك حاولت أن أوظف كافة مواهبي النثرية والشعرية لخدمة هذه الفئة من المرضى لكي ألفن الأنظار اليها حتى تحظى بما تستحقه من رعاية. نعم لقد وفرت حكومة مولاي صاحب الجلالة السلطان قابوس بن سعيد المعظم حفظه الله المشافي لعلاج هذا المرض لكن يظل الدعم الاجتماعي أمرا في غاية الأهمية لتأهيل هؤلاء المرضى.

ولا يفوتني في هذه العاجلة الا أن أشير الى أن ريع مبيعات هذا الكتاب "بين حنايا أضلعي"سيذهب كله الى الجمعية الأهلية لمكافحة السرطان عله يكون خطوة في مسيرتنا تجاه الهدف الأسمى الذي نسعى الى تحقيقه ألا وهو مساعدة مرضى السرطان.

وتعتبر الجمعية الأهلية لمكافحة السرطان أول مجموعة تقوم برعاية مرضى السرطان في سلطنة عمان. ولقد كان للجمعية الاثر البالغ في مساعدة وتشجيع مرضى السرطان حيث تكللت مساعيها بالنجاح في شفاء العديد من المصابين بهذا المرض.

لذلك أدعوكم أخوتي واخواتي الى ضم الجهود ومكاتفة الأيدي دعما لهذه الجمعية الفتية.
وفي الختام لا يسعني الا أن أتقدم بالشكر الجزيل لكم أنتم الحضور ولمؤسسات الوطنية القنصلية الفخرية لمملكة أسبانيا البنك الوطني العماني، فندق هوليداي فيلا، شركة دار الدواء العمانية، فندق حياة ريجنسي، القمة للصحافة والنشر، داران ش م م، صيدلية مسقط، مجموعة الترجمة بجامعة السلطان قابوس، المركز الحديث للخدمات التجارية، شركة الرمال الشمالية ومطبعة عمان.


كما لا يفوتني أن أخص بالشكر الفاضل/ فضل الله سليمان الفاضل/ محمد الرواحي الفاضل/طوني بربور الفاضل/حسن المطروشي دكتور عبدالله الحراصي الفاضلة/حنان محمد الرواحي، دكتورة باتريشيا جروفز الفاضلة/ باميلا كربوني الفاضل/فهد الوهيبي الفاضلة/عايدة الجابري لوقفتهم وتشجيعهم وسهرهم من أجل اخراج هذا الكتاب.

والسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
.

29 Comments:

Blogger amiethinggoes said...

yay! is that you nasra? on the pic? btw the book you mentioned sounds a worthwhile thing to buy. cancer-a meaningful subject to me. my mom died of cancer. lung cancer, which was really ironic because she was not a smoker. as a matter of fact no one in the family smokes. and i saw her slowly diminished right before my eyes. it was hard and yet she never let us see her pain.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

I used to work in a hospital. The hardest to see were the cancer kids who stay in the wards for their chemotherapy. I see their parents being strong as they sit by the bedside comforting their child. It wrenches at the heart.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful cause...

I will have to find a copy of that book...

Thanks for visiting my blog

5:48 AM  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

Let me gush now and say that I am ssoooo proud of you, dear.

"when there is hope there is continuity of life" -- my fave line in your speech. ^_^

9:18 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Amie
Thanks. Im sorry to hear about your mum, its hard to loos a parent. I can not handle till now. Yes that is me in normal life I more looking simple. On the launch my firend she did a nice painting on me. I did not even recogine myself...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Nasra,
You are as beautiful as your spirit ... and I am so very proud of your accomplishment! You have a kind and giving heart ... May you be blessed all the days of your life. Now I think I am ready to work on that Acrostic ... I am feeling it ---

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

wow, that's wonderful nasra. how rewarding it must feel to get published and for such a worthy cause. Congratulations!!!

where can you get this book?

11:48 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Lorena
Thanks so much for your kind words

well since the book is only in Oman. It can be obtained here in Family Book Shop.

http://www.soukofoman.com/familybookshop.html

you can just e-mail with the name of the book (mentioned charity book for cancer ) and then will forward the price of the book.

2:11 PM  
Blogger nomadica said...

i'm so glad you finally put up something about your book here! you should put up some information and the cover of your first book too - it was just as brilliant. i hope you are working on your next one :)

7:51 AM  
Blogger Hopeless Poet said...

That is great news Nasra :D
I am waiting for my copy and free of course :p

1:32 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Im bit slow in answering
But here goes

Liz
I know how it feels I had have visited the children ward and seen the children touched with cancer and how their parent take it all. The amazing part is many of these children I saw had beautiful smile. so warming smile that I never seen a bright smile like theres

Bookend
Im glad to have you here in my blog.

Soul
Thank you so much and hug to you too

Liquidplastic
Its so sweet of you to say all those beautiful words about me. Im a bit feeling law at this moment so it really uplifited my mood. Thank you

Jawaher
a jewel of arabia ...its been awhile..Hope you are all well. Im sorry about your borther and since I got your e-mail you were in my prayers and I have been thinking about you..

Lorena
I admit the sense of having a book is amazing. yet I see the content I feel sad. I wonder does a book really help..at times people the buy the book for neing sympathatic and it lies there unread. the book is RO 2/- = US $5.18
u can request it at Family bookshop of Oman
http://www.soukofoman.com/familybookshop.html

Sillyadventure
Im glad you are okay. everyday its a battel. you keep on your guard all the time with cancer. With medical advancment cancer as you know if treated early its curable

Marcus
Im proud of you too. You have played a role in your community so Im sure we both try we can (isnt that true?)

Nomadica
Its nice to have you again in my blog. You have a great helping hand. I still did not maange to give the coppy when you are down here. I should make sure to do so. At first I did not want ot put abut the book as I though it seems like Im showing off. However I did not want to through the speech. I wanted to retain the speech that I presented so I thought to myself well why not.

1:41 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Mashallah alaik ...inshallah min ainy elithnain...pls send a DHL car and it will reach right cross you door..kam hopeless poet ana endi ..wahid bass ma chidhi

1:44 PM  
Blogger Mother Courage said...

OMG !! ur a writer !! thats so cool !
am so goin to buy ur book .

congrades ! w menha lel2a3la enshalla ;-)

1:28 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Nasra, great work. It would be wonderful if we could get governments more interested in alleviating suffering. Sometimes I think of the vast resources devoted to arms and warfare, and imagine what some small fraction of that could do toward fighting illness.

As it is, a lot depends on people who are personally affected in some way by a particular disease. This does help gain public awareness and funding for widespread illnesses, and of course, here in America, with medicine almost a completely capitalist enterprise, if many people suffer from something, people are eager to find ways to help and make themselves a lot of money.

But other people, with unusual conditions, get no real help, as I've learned through my own situation. These rare conditions are called "orphan diseases" here in the US. When you combine them all, millions of people suffer, but each of the diseases is so rare that practically no effort is being made to learn about them. No profit potential for corporate health care. No exceptions made for what insurance does and doesn't cover, no matter how unusual the medical condition and how unique the need. You pay your own way, which, unless you're a millionaire, you are unable to do for most of the things that would be most helpful; or you do without.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Sameer said...

Congratulations Nasra,
I feel you are doing a great job.
May your talent for writing bloom in a thousand ways...
By the way, thanks for dropping by my blog!!

6:44 AM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

i lost a lil cousin to cancer...two of my freinds mom's died due to cancer. my mum and a freinds mum had a scare some years back, but alhamdullilah, they are good. i know you lost your dad to it and it must be a pain which one can only imagine.
however you have turned that pain into a passion to help people in similar situations and that my darling is the most wonderful thing anyone can do! hugs!
your painting is beautiful, like you and i hope to read your book someday. i'm so glad you got to publish your work. you sure deserve all the praise you get. *hugs*

12:21 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Writing your book must have been quite a painful journey for you, congratulations, to do such work in a good cause is a wonderful thing to do

10:42 AM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Wow! Congratulations on getting you book out. This is really good news. Is there an e-book version of it too?

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt so proud of you reading your speech with words as strong and beautiful as your image.

My father also died of cancer. The 2nd anniversary of his death was recently. I'm working on poetry, but not been in the public eye for this that much. I did donate 2 of my paintings and one of my photographs to our area hospital.

A group of us artists will be honoured because our artwork will stay at the hospital in their First Permanent Collection of Healing Art. More importantly, the honor is for community awareness and to generate more funds for using arts as a healing tool in the environment.

The first place this art exhibit will be shown will be in the outpatient cancer wing. Then it will rotate to various places in the hospital, hopefully to bring hope, comfort, respite, and peace to those who work and are patients there.

I recently found out that I've been given the honor of a solo show to exhibit my artwork there for the month of Dec. I'm donating a major portion of the proceeds to the hospital.

I hope to put my poetry and my artwork together. THank you very much for your strong encouragement about my poetry on my site. I often use parts of my poetry in the cards I design. I'm working towards self-publication with proceeds to benefit research towards the cure for the type of rare, inheritable cancer my father had. (IT currently has no cure, is listed in the Rare Diseases area, but we always retain hope.)

You have done so much publically. I Wish I could have been there in the audience. You're amazing! :)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

This is amazing!
Many congratulations to you Nasra..
I so want to own this book! I will try to get it!

Wish you the best always..

10:20 AM  
Blogger Misreflection said...

only just catching up with your posts now.. but its never to late to say " CONGRATULATIONS", you deserve the recognition and for such a just cause too.. God bless you Nasra.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nasra,
As I was driving home, I heard a beautiful voice reciting a poem and ofcourse I immediately recognized that voice. I had reached home and remained sitting in the car just listening to what that voice had to tell and I felt so very proud to know this special lady, that has achieved this.Writng a poem is not the only thing. It is also organizing all. You have done a good job and your father would have been proud of his daughter. Some neighbors looked a bit strange at me sitting in the car and doing nothing, so I drove another block. You're my inspiration was sung. Well dear, just telling you, you were very good and clear and I hope to see you on Saturday. I will certainly be there and perhaps bring another friend.
With friendship, take care,
Anne-Marie xxx

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nasra,
It was very nice to attend the presentation of your book. I was very impressed by the way it was organized. From beginning to end. The way the poetry was recited both by man and woman. You looked very beautiful and charming, like always. I loved your clothes!. Have you had many reactions? I wrote a small article for the dutch magazine. I do not know if they will publish it, but I think they will. Well dear time to look at my young son, who is asking for more food. Let me know how things are and how long you stayed to sign. I gave Rose a book and told her all.
Love,
Anne-Marie xxx

--

6:43 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Dearest Anne

Thank you for being there. Your were the one who was glowing over there. It was so lovely to see you...Thank you sooooooo much for being such true friend to me....

I need to come to see you (Inshallah coming week if you are not bussy)

Take care

Nasra

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nasra,

Loved it... God bless you..

Cyrus

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toomuchat - really a good step from you and really amazing, baraka allah fiki.. keep the good work that puts really high n no way brings u down.

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate
your praiseworthy efforts
to ease the pain
and make life
worth living.
May there be many
just like you
to help the living
live.

1:12 AM  
Blogger trinitystar said...

May you be filled with the grace of God to give you strength to continue. Wonderful work you have done ...
I too have a work colegue that has cancer ... she is so determined to give her daughter away at her wedding in July. She was given 6 months January 2006 ... we are all wishing her well. She certainly has somekind of inner strength. Many time I heard myself grumbling about an ailment ... and it makes one more aware ... Hugs for you.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Nema said...

Salamo 3alaikom
I love the concept of your book, it's thoughtful of you to write about cancer, since it's the most awful disease over the years!
I'm in Egypt but I dunno if I can get the book or not, hopefully I'll get the chance to buy any of your books
I admired your personality, really =)
Keep that up

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home