Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lessons from Clean Up Oman Campaign

Trash by photographyguy
Trash, a photo by photographyguy on Flickr.
Its amazing how your mind could open up from a single thoughts or a campaign. That is how it was for me with Clean Up Oman Campaign, this single campaign I started to view my town in different lenses. A lens that crave for cleanness and gives a disprove eye at seeing clutter in its town. 

Although I have not volunteered in cleaning campaign but the realization on promoting cleanness in my town was a mission by itself. I was able to engage youth in my town who use to play football to be aware of their environment too a task was hard by itself. As an only female who approached football team to clean up the football pitch and the surrounding seem to be starnge and also be at front line in showing them how to collect clutter in the pitch and the area surrounded. 


Yet I realized the task of keeping my area clean does not depend only on me but it also needed to keep others aware and educate neighbors to be aware that it is important to apply responsibility when throwing garbage in the bin and that itself is not an easy task. I started teaching my house assistance on importance to be aware that when throwing the garbage, to throw in allocated bin and not outside as it was apparent that neighbors did not bother to throw in the bin and at times you will find empty bins but all litters are thrown outside. So I volunteered to clear the litter in my area’s bin as I only need myself and my daughter and my house assistance as extra helping hands. 


I thought to myself, its a great achievement to have cleaned my area’s bin but soon or later, l realized my task is not over as the organization that is assigned to collect domestic waste does not do its part fully. This was realized when my home cabinet had broke and there was no way to be fixed, carpenter indicated that my cabinet is not wood that he could reuse them back. SO I had to throw it, but I resolved to throw small piece instead of throwing whole litter in order to encourage the waste collector to carry the pieces. Unfortunately realized that the assigned waste collector refused to collect the pieces and it was thrown outside the bin.

By then I understood by now that huge trash material will not be collected, so we resolved to burning the huge pieces of woods and since my neighbor had thrown cut tree branches. As I watched the tree branches were burning, I was happy that I was able to get rid of the uncollected domestic waste. My happiness did not complete as another neighbor had mown their garden lawn and had not bothered to throw the waste in the bin but thrown everything outside the bin. So I wonder how to really educate such neighbor to be responsible neighbor to maintain our town clean.

Copyright July 2012 Nasra Al Adawi

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger goatman said...

So "reality has blown another truth" as you have once said.

We have here set up many recycling programs which take glass, aluminum, newspapers and magazines, plastic, and cardboard boxes to be processed and reused for new products. And the grass and leaves can be composted and reduced to an organic matter suitable for building up the soil around your plants. We found several years ago that our landfills (garbage dumps) were quickly filling up with material that could be reused. But these programs have to be set up by the local governments, and systems set up by business for processing and selling the materials. Turns out it can be profitable on a large scale.
I would like to see some photos of your town and country if you can post them. Promise to do same.
I hope Zi and Sal are doing well.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

well done on helping people to become more aware!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home